Farewell to a friend
( 06 Sep 2013 - Mike )
Members of the band said farewell to Mr.Sid Howells today, by way of playing the hymns at his funeral, at the request of his family.
A sad day, but one full of great memories.Thanks to those who played.
( 24 Aug 2013 - Mike )
It is with great sadness that I have been informed of the passing of Sid, who was Conductor , Teacher and a brilliant Euphonium player with the band for many, many years.
My condolences to his family and friends. A great friend.
New Musical Director.
( 07 Feb 2013 - )
Snowdown Colliery Band is extremely pleased to announce that Christer Aberg , M A Conducting, BA (Hons)Band Studies, has agreed to become the new Musical Director. Christer has a wealth of experience as a former Tutor of Conducting at the Royal Academy of Music, Stockholm and former Chairman of the NABBC London and Southern Counties.
The band are looking forward to an exciting time with our new M.D.and hope he enjoys his time with us.
( 13 Sep 2012 - Mike )
I would like to remind anyone reading this message that if they know of any players , especially Basses , Percussion, then please get in touch with someone on the Contacts page with a view to joining in at a rehearsal on a Wednesday evening.....
Congratulations to Stan Partner....
( 16 Jun 2012 - Stanley Partner. M.B.E., B.E.M. )
A very big congratulations to EEb Bass player Stanley Partner on his award of the M.B.E. in the Queens Birthday Honours list.
All the best Stanley and this doubles up with his B.E.M.
Snowdown Compete Again...
( 17 Mar 2012 - London & Southern Counties Regional Results )
...this time Snowdown Colliery Band competed in the London and Southern Counties Regional contest in Stevenage.
Test Piece: English Folk Song Suite
Full results have been published by the London and Southern Counties Region competition organisers.
We played well, but only managed a galant 13th (out of the 20 bands in the fourth section)
Next 3 Gigs
08 December 2013
Minster Christmas Concert
08 December 2013
Elham Christmas Lights
13 December 2013
Catholic Church Aylesham
30 May 2012
- Thanks to all those that could make it this morning (Wednesday) , for the French Students who visited the village for their studies into Mining and it's communities. We had a good question and answer time after some playing and they seemed happy with all they heard. 28 May 2012
- New photo added to Band Photo Album of Mick Sole in 1962
.29 Apr 2012
- First outing in the SCABA 2nd section and we got a 5th place (out of 8). Well done band!18 Apr 2012
- Latest Band photo (with 2011 trophies) used as new website header. Also new photos added to the band photo album
.04 Feb 2012
- Congratulations to everyone on gaining promotion to the 2nd section SCABA, after a very succesful year in 2011, winning twice and becoming SCABA "Band of the Year". 18 Dec 2011
- Most of the Programmes of music played this year by the band, are viewable by searching for the venue (top right of page) or by clicking the venue in the engagements list.
Why is the French horn a divine instrument?
Because a man blows in it, but only God knows what comes out of it.